Immigration to Canada - Canadian students visa
Message us
+1 (647) 493-8441
Ukraine (Kyiv)
+380 044 364 8380


Studying Abroad in Canada

Canada is home to many outstanding educational institutions as well as a growing number of international students. The high-quality schools and universities located in Canada as well as a culture which embraces education are among the appealing factors that have led to a population of over 300,000 foreign students in Canada. Other factors include the relatively low cost of tuition and the generally high quality of life found in the country.

Studying With a Permit

Most foreigners who wish to pursue education in Canada will need to apply for and obtain a study permit. The study permit will allow the student to live and attend school in Canada, and in some cases doubles as a work permit.

For a small percentage of international students, no study permit is required. Some reasons you might not need a study permit could be that you plan to enroll in a course or program that lasts six months or less, you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative in Canada, or you are a member of a foreign military service stationed in Canada.

When a study permit is required, it is best to apply for the permit as soon as you receive notification that you have been accepted to a study program. It is not possible to apply for the permit before being accepted, but in most cases, obtaining the permit is required before entering Canada.

Working While Studying

Many study permits also double as work permits for those who hold them. This can be important for international students, because in order to be allowed to move to Canada, you will have to prove that you will be able to support yourself while studying (including the cost of tuition and the cost of living). Depending on the program or courses they are enrolled in, some students will be required to apply for a separate work permit if they want to be employed while studying. Most international students are also able to apply for a post-graduate work permit if they wish to work in Canada after completing their education.

Permanent Residence

After graduating, some foreign students may want to remain in Canada to live and work. There are two immigration programs that help students achieve this goal. The first program is called the Canadian Experience Class, which allows individuals with a history of working or studying in Canada to apply for permanent residence. The second program is the Quebec Experience Class, which works in the same way, but specifically for the province of Quebec.

Universities we work with:

macewan manitoba mcgill rutherford seneca toronto windsor

Canada is one of the most developed countries in the world in terms of its level of education (both secondary and higher).

Secondary education in Canada forms part of the state sphere of interest and is fully financed by the state. In the meantime, secondary education in Canada is free and mandatory. All Canadian schools are equipped with modern infrastructure, modern offices, labs, and excellent sport facilities. The teaching process is performed solely by qualified and licensed teachers.

In general, secondary schools in Canada are state-owned, although approximately 5 % of secondary education institutions are private schools, in which the education is fee-based. Usually such schools are specialized in a certain discipline or field of knowledge.

Although the structure of education and the educational curriculums are standardized across the whole Canadian territory, some provinces have individual peculiarities, related to the specific needs of the region, to cultural and historical values. Schools may as well differ in terms of the teaching language (English or French), religious preferences; and you need to take these peculiarities into consideration, when choosing a school.

The system of mixed education of boys and girls is in place in nearly all the state-owned schools.

For foreign students, the majority of schools have programs of adaptation to the language environment. There are courses and extracurricular classes of language (both English and French).

The secondary education, after completing which the graduate can enter a university, usually lasts for 7 – 12 years depending on the province. In the majority of regions, students graduate from school at the age of 16 years, although in several provinces the graduate’s age is 17 – 18 years.

When choosing a school, you need to determine, in which language you want to study, to choose between the state-owned and private form of education, to take into consideration your willingness to specialise in a certain discipline.

The educational curriculum is divided into semesters. Generally, during each semester, four disciplines are studied and, at the end of the semester, students take written exams in these subjects. At the end of the semestral program, students are given their transcripts with grades and teachers’ comments. Between the semesters, students have vacations.

The diploma of a Canadian school grants its owner the right to enter a university or university college both in Canada and on the whole North American continent.

When choosing a school, you do not necessarily need to take into consideration the immediate proximity of the school to your place of residence, because Canada has a developed system of school buses. This service is fee-based but its pricing is quite democratic.

In order to enrol your child in school, you need to submit the confirmation of permanent residence (CPR form IMM 5292) or the permanent resident card (PRC), the passport, data about vaccination, the birth certificate (or another ID-document). All documents must be in English or French, or to have a notarized translation into these languages.

The decision to assign the future student to a certain grade is taken by the school, taking into consideration the level of language proficiency and the grades in key disciplines.

If you have any questions concerning this topic, or you do not understand everything, – contact us and we will provide you our consultation and answer all your questions.

Canadian system of Higher Education is arguably considered one of the best in the world, and a University diploma, both Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree obtained in any university (University College) of Canada, is recognized in almost all countries.

System of Higher Education in Canada is built on the British model, which implies a high level of knowledge, individual approach to learning, students’ constant communication with teachers, and focus on scientific research. Moreover, the cost of training is very competitive compared to other countries.

Though among more than hundreds of universities and equated to them university colleges there exist their own leaders, it should be noted that there are no higher educational establishments with low quality of education in Canada, it means that all the universities and colleges permanently keep up the “high hurdle”, and education in each of them meets the highest international standards. The reason for this is that higher education has powerful government support. The Government of Canada has been permanently holding the world record for spending costs on education system, providing funds to actually two thirds of financing educational institutions. Moreover, various funds give financial support to universities.

Devoting the huge budget funding for universities and colleges, the government practically does not interfere in their politics, giving schools the opportunity to independently determine the curricula, areas of research, and establish scholarships for the best students.

In Canada, there are about 175 public and private colleges with about 500 thousand students. The advantage of colleges to universities is an opportunity to study in small groups, personal attention of teachers, and relatively low tuition fees.

Approximately 1.5 million students, including 35,000 foreign students, study at about hundred universities and university colleges. Professors with worldwide reputation teach at Canadian universities, and there are a lot of Nobel laureates, prominent businesspersons and famous politicians among their graduates.

In order to enter a Canadian university, at first, it is necessary to choose the most appropriate. All universities and colleges have open information policy, and to find comprehensive information about them is not difficult. Using the available information resources, select the school that fits you best in language, specialization and tuition. Prepare for yourself a “Plan B” and necessarily find out about the possibility of applying for several programs (or even several universities) if you happen not to enter the university you initially have wanted to enter.

As there is no single entrance exam system in Canada, each educational institution sets the rules of entrance and determines the minimal level of enrollees’ knowledge, which is needful for entrance, by its own. As a rule, this level means completed secondary education and good progress. Some universities demand such levels of knowledge as SAT I or SAT II.

A compulsory requirement exists for enrollees of Canadian universities – excellent knowledge of English (French if the region is French speaking). As a rule, the level of language knowledge has to meet the requirements of TOEFL (CAEL for French).

Deadline for applications for admission in various universities are different, but as a rule, it is about 8 months before the start of studies on the selected program. In most cases, studies start in September, but there are cases when programs start in May or January.

The procedure of submission of an application differs depending on a region. In some provinces, there are shared centers of receipt of applications, in others you need to contact an admissions office of a chosen university directly. Some universities practice all-year receipt of applications from foreign enrollees.

In addition to the application, be ready to provide such documents as a high school transcript, transcript to the diploma, the description of your studied courses on specific subjects (if you have not been studying on the North American continent).

It is worth remembering that you should have a study permit for studying in Canada for more than 6 months if you want to study in a Canadian university.

Contact us and we will give the fullest information about higher education in Canada, provide and collect all the necessary documents, and help to get through all formal procedures.